Herbs contain lots of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. So why not make the children familiar with them from an early age?
In this post, we give you a list of suggestions on how to add fresh herbs to everyday dishes that the children know and love.
Let the children get close to the herbs
To make children familiar with herbs (and vegetables for that matter), involvement is key. It is the meeting between the known and the unknown. Therefore, start out by experimenting with the children’s favourite dishes. For instance, let your child smell, taste and feel the herbs, choose which herbs you are cooking with tonight or help sprinkling fresh basil on the Friday pizza.
The good thing about herbs is that the applications are endless. And that also applies to child-friendly dishes. Here is a list of suggestions on how to give your child a taste for herbs:
- Top off a pizza or pasta dish with fresh herbs
- Make a homemade pesto from fresh herbs : https://www.legro.dk/en/make-your-own-pesto-with-fresh-herbs/
- Mix herbs in your summer salads : https://www.legro.dk/en/3-fresh-summer-salads-you-need-to-try-this-summer/
- Make a homemade herb butter : https://www.legro.dk/en/how-to-make-your-own-delicious-herb-butter/
- Make an olive oil with chopped herbs
- Marinate your meat using fresh herbs
- Use herbs in a refreshing summer smoothie : https://www.legro.dk/en/3-refreshing-smoothies-for-hot-summer-days/
- Add fresh cilantro to guacamole.
Pique the interest with past and facts
Things usually become more interesting once we know more about them. Try piquing your children’s interest in herbs by telling them about their healing properties : https://www.legro.dk/en/5-miracle-cures-with-fresh-herbs/ or application in ancient rituals of the past. : https://www.legro.dk/en/spicy-rituals-from-the-past/