A herbal broth is a great way to add a delicious flavour boost when cooking.
In this post, you can find the recipe on how to make your own homemade herbal broth using fresh herbs. A nice way to combine the flavours of your favourite herbs to always have them at hand for soups, pasta and noodle dishes or something else.
Which herbs to use?
The best part about making your own herbal broth is that you can use any herbs you want to. Try for instance the combination of sage and rosemary – a great flavour boost for soups. The amount of herbs needed depends on which herbs you are using, their intensity and which flavours you want to highlight in the broth. It may take some experimenting to get the mix and ratio just right.
You can also add vegetables, such as onions, garlic, carrots, celery and leeks to the broth for additional flavour.
A herbal broth can be made in two different ways: either as a dried powder or as a liquid broth mixture. Both versions taste great, but they do need to be stored differently. The dried form can be stored in a glass jar and the liquid one in the freezer.
How to make dried herbal broth
- Start by thoroughly cleansing your herbs
- Chop them, put them in a blender and blend until they are around the size
- Spread out the blended herbs on a baking sheet and dry them in the oven for 5 hours at 50 degrees (make sure to stir frequently)
- Take it out once the herb mixture is all dried
- Blend it again and store it in a sealed spice jar
Use the dried herbal broth by the ratio: 1 teaspoon broth to 1 cup (or 2 dl) water.
How to make liquid herbal broth
- Start by adding 6 cups (or 12 dl) water to a pot and heat it up
- Add 1-2 teaspoon of each of your favourite herbs depending on which flavour you are going for
- Let the mixture boil while stirring
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 30-40 minutes
- Sew the leaves and any vegetables used so you are left with the broth mixture
- Divide the mixture into smaller bags or an ice cube tray before freezing it, so that you can easily get out just the right amount for when you need it.